Kansas Bird Photo Gallery
Here are some images (or links to images) of birds seen and photographed by
Kansas Birders. Emphasis is not on rarity, but rather on image quality and
composition, or unusual/interesting plumages or other features. If you have images that you think need to be here, please email
Dave Rintoul .
- Hatch-year Indigo Bunting (2 views), photographed by Dave Rintoul, Riley County, Sept. 24, 2011
- Swainson's Hawk, digiscoped by Greg Stuhlsatz, Sedgwick County, Sept. 18, 2011
- Mississippi Kites, bathing in a lawn sprinkler in Pierceville, July 2011
Curlews - Finney County, April 1, 2011, photos by Tom Shane
- Leucistic Canada Goose - Wyandotte County Lake, December 10, 2010, photo by R. Craig Hensley
- Hooded Merganser
- Sedgwick County, June 10, 2010, photo by Nathan Ofsthun
- Eastern Bluebird - Johnson County, May 16, 2010, photo by Mark Corder
- Leucistic Red-winged
Blackbird - northern Douglas County, January 18, 2010, photo by Barbara
- Great Blue Heron on
chimney - Winfield, Cowley County, January 15, 2010, photo by Max Thompson
Prairie-Chicken - in metro Wichita, Sedgwick County, October 18, 2009 Photo
by Laura Volleen
- Great Horned Owl
- Marion County, September 2009, Photo by Mike Everhart
- Rufous Hummingbird -
Butler County, December 6, 2007, Photos by Paul Griffin
- November Sparrow Photo Gallery - November 3, 2007, Photos by D.A. Rintoul
- Black-throated Gray
Warbler, Decatur County, Sep 9, 2007 - Photos by Brian Simonsson
- Henslow's Sparrow, Konza Prairie, July 8, 2007 - Photos by Dave Rintoul
- Cedar Waxwings at
feeder - April 20, 2007, photos by Sara Shane
- Greater Prairie-Chickens on the Konza Lek - April 15, 2007, photos by Dave Rintoul
- Red-tailed Hawk with
Squirrel, Manhattan (Riley County) January 22, 2007. Photo by Dave
- Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk, Cheney Lake (Reno County), November 11, 2006.
Photo by Kevin Groeneweg
- Tundra Swans, Quivira
NWR, (Stafford County), November 9, 2006. Photos by Bob Regier
- Virginia Rail, East Lawrence (Douglas
County), Sept. 21, 2006. Photo by Roy Wedge
- Sedge Wren, Konza Prairie, August 20, 2006. Photo by Dave Rintoul
- Juvenile Eastern Screech-owl, Riley County, July 1, 2006. Photo by Dave Rintoul
- Burrowing Owl , Geary County July 2006. Photo by Dave Rintoul
- Leucistic Common Grackle fledgling, Great Bend (Barton County), June 2006. Photo by Rob Graham.
- Male Indigo Bunting, banded June 2006 on Ft. Riley - Second-year bird, aged by molt limit in the feathers of the wing. Photo by Dave Rintoul.
- Hybrid duck -
Kevin Groeneweg, Cheney Reservoir, Reno County, June 2006.
Orange-crowned Warbler - Photo by Priscilla Wilson, January 2006,
Johnson County, Kansas
- Spotted Towhee x
Eastern Towhee Hybrid - Photo by Bob Gress, Harvey County, Kansas,
November 11, 2005
- Judd Patterson Photography - Photo website
maintained by former KSU student Judd Patterson. Nice pictures of birds, but also
nice pictures of mammals, flowers, and natural places. Check back often to see
the picture of the month!
- American Kestrel - KU Campus, Lawrence
- Painted Bunting - Photos by Norm Smith of
Arkansas City KS, June 2004.
- Swainson's Hawk
nest (three nestlings) in a sycamore tree in Johnson County - Photos by
- Light Shooter - Photo website
maintained by Kyle Gerstner. Stunning nature photos, including birds.
- Imprint of an eastern
screech-owl on a plate-glass window, Pottawatomie County KS 2003.
- Eric Preston's Photos - Eric is
a former Kansas resident who has moved to California, but continues to take
spectacular photos of birds and nature.
Chappell's Photos - Mark is not a Kansan (but is a graduate school
colleague of mine), but he is an excellent photographer. And some of his bird
pictures were taken in Kansas (e.g. my back yard and Doris Burnett's feeders)☺.
updated April 14, 2011